I’m finding that I’m substituting carbs for meat. O well =P I’m sure I’ll have a carb free vegan meal in the future since we still have 38 more days.
This is probably one of my favorite go to, easy and delicious pasta sauces. I usually add a splash of cream and some parmesan or pecorino romano, but since we went vegan, I had to omit both. Grilled Chicken and Shrimp are also easy add-ons for a non-vegan version.
I only used Yellow and Orange Bell Peppers and Yellow Cherry Tomatoes for this sauce, but Red Bell Peppers and Red Cherry Tomatoes make this sauce just as delicious if not more with a dash of Red Chili Flakes.
I’m also missing fresh, julienned basil which would complete this dish. Sadly, I don’t have any basil on hand. =(
Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce
2 Yellow, Orange, and/or Red Bell Peppers
1-1 1/2 c Cherry Tomatoes
5-6 cloves of garlic, peeled
1. Cut Bell Peppers into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Arrange in a single layer on foil lined baking sheet with tomatoes and garlic.
2. Drizzle Olive Oil liberally over everything. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with clean hands to evenly coat the veggies and garlic.
3. Roast in a 375F oven for 35-40 min.
4. Scrape everything off of baking sheet into a medium pot over med-low heat and puree with a stick blender. (*if you do not have a stick blender, puree in a regular blender or food processor, but be careful because it is HOT and may splatter) You can add 1/4 to 1/2 c of pasta water to thin the sauce if you wish.
5. Add roasted veggies for the vegan version (I added roasted golden beets, sauteed crimini mushrooms, and garlic Brussels sprouts) or grilled chicken and/or shrimp with a splash of cream and parmesan cheese for the non-vegan version with your choice of pasta cooked al dente. Stir well and cook over med-low heat for 5 min.
Enjoy with a generous sprinkling of fresh julienned basil!!
Let me know how you liked the recipe by leaving a comment below!