The hubs and I got a rare snow day off together this past week! So we slept in, and made breakfast together. It was so nice. =] And then he ruined it by telling me his car was stranded and we had to go dig it out after eating breakfast. =(
One of the perks of our honeymoon was staying at a bed and breakfast wherever we traveled to in NZ. They all had great breakfasts, but the one that stuck most in our minds was at Redwood Lodge in Waitomo. It’s run by a culinary school graduate who loves making delicious meals for her guests. We could have gotten a 5 star dinner the night we arrived but we found out too late. =( We did get a 5 star breakfast the next morning before we left though. She made us this sumptuous breakfast with free range eggs, free range bacon (not streaky american bacon), croissants, multi-grain toast, homemade muesli, yogurt, orange juice, fresh coffee…mMmMmM~
I forgot to take pictures of it, I took video instead…
We never eat breakfast so it was nice to sit down to a nice big one together on this snow day. =]
Sorry this is the only picture I have. I’ll post the recipes though.
Ham and Cheese Scramble
6 Eggs (my rule for scrambled eggs: 3 eggs per person)
1/2 C diced Ham
1/4 C Shredded Cheese of choice (I used 2% American)
3 TBSP Milk
2 TSBP Water
1 TBSP Unsalted Butter
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Whisk water, Milk, and Eggs together.
2. Saute diced ham in butter for 2 minutes on med-high heat.
3. Add whisked mixture and with a wooden spoon stir constantly until almost at desired scramble consistency (I like mine fully cooked but slightly fluffy). Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
4. Serve hot. =]
*I added a little bit of rendered maple bacon fat to my butter in the beginning
Roasted Vegetable Medley
*we got a lot of sauteed tomatoes and mushrooms at the bed and breakfasts in NZ. This was a beautiful reminder of it.
1 Small Green Squash, 1-inch dice
2 Roma Tomatoes, 1-inch dice
1/4 Onion, diced
2 cloves Roasted Garlic, minced
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine all the ingredients except for roasted garlic on a jelly roll pan or roasting pan of choice, mix thoroughly and place in oven.
3. Roast for 20 minutes tossing once in between. Add roasted garlic when tossing.
4. Serve hot.
Bacon! Place on a cooling rack on top of a jelly roll pan and broil until crisp. easy peasy lemon squeezy! =]
yummmmmy in my tummy! and gave us lots of energy to play in the snow! =]