so glad to be back to blogging…=]
This one’s going to be a little different from last time and my last blog (wedding). There will still be food adventures…but more cooking…less eating out and critique-ing…since we gots no money. =(
Cream of Potato Soup
nota bene: all cream of potato soups vary. It depends on what you put in it correct? Mine’s sweet and salty as you can see from my ingredients. Absolutely delicious. I LOVE SWEET AND SALTY COMBOS! =]
3 Roasted Korean Sweet Potatoes, coarsely chopped (I roasted a bunch a couple weeks ago and didn’t know what to do with the leftovers…until now…)
3 Medium Raw Potatoes, coarsely chopped
4-5 strips of streaky bacon, chopped
1 TBSP Unsalted Butter
1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 TBSP Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of Garlic, whole
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Quart Chicken Stock (I used low fat, low sodium)
1 1/2 TSP Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
1 Bay Leaf, whole
2 TBSP Honey
2 TBSP Salt
1 1/2 TSP Pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large pot, add onions, bacon, and olive oil and cook on medium-high heat until onion is translucent and bacon is crispy. Stir every once in a while to scrape up bacon bits from the bottom of the pot. Add cloves of garlic last to prevent burning.
2. Add Chicken stock, Raw potatoes, salt, pepper, honey, rosemary and bay leaf to pot, cover and bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are cooked thoroughly. *you should be able to cut in half with a wooden spoon.
3. Add Roasted Sweet Potatoes (30 minutes in an oven at 350F) and bring back to a boil.
4. This step can be done in several ways, I have a hand stick blender but a regular blender or a food mill work perfectly as well. If using a stick blender, just stick the blender into the pot and puree away…=]
If using a regular blender or food mill, turn off heat, carefully and slowly add portions to your blender or food mill and puree into soup. Pour back into pot once soup is pureed.
5. Add Whole Milk and stir. Let simmer for 10 minutes on Medium heat, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
I’ll get better at the posting pictures…wasn’t really thinking today…was hungry. =]